Search This Blog

Monday, February 15, 2010

The Joy of Being a Handicapped


Being labeled as a disable is a big challenge for us to face. Imagine in a world where able people freely do what they wanted to do that exert physical efforts. Then one person stepped in without enough physical prowess to prove that he is able. This made a separate label between an able person and a disable one.
The good thing is that label is simply a label, not of great importance. Like a sign post along the road, once you drive past that sign post along your way, you won't memorize it seriously for hours because it is not your priority while focusing your attention on driving that moment.
Being a disable is not really a disable. In fact, polite people prefer to call it handicap to emphasize that there is no disability exist to a physically defected person; but only a different kind of ability. Surprisingly, in this kind of physical differences, many handicapped excelled amazingly. They have proved to the world how a different ability, unique from the world of able, could create an amazing impact of creativity and accomplishment.
This is the joy of being a handicapped. We have our own gifts of creativity and ability that when use with courage and persistence, the able people would be inspired and can even make a difference to their able lives! It's okay if we felt proud being a handicapped, not because we are endowed with unique capabilities but because being as such could also be a blessing for others.

2 comments:

  1. I may not be "disabled" or "handicapped" in the defined way, but everyone is disabled in some way. My son is a 19 year old achondroplasia dwarf. I knew one month before he was born through medical technology. That was when a resident geneticist began a kind and compassionate counseling to help us understand that meant and how we could deal with it.

    The most memorable advice she gave was to understand that he would not be "average", that is, his differences would set him apart from most people around him. I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that he was my son. That was all that really mattered to me.

    I grew up with my sister who was afflicted with Downe's Syndrome mongoloidism. I was not a stranger to the world of those who are not average. Over the years I have recognized people for who they are, not what they look like or what they can or cannot do.

    Through my sister's limited mental capacity, I learned how to truly love unconditionally. Through my son, I learned that there are no handicaps - only challenges to be met and defeats that are to be accepted. Both have been inspirations to me. Inspirations that are greater than anyone else I have known. Approaching 60 years old, there have been many people I have met.

    I hope to be allowed to share my experiences as a brother who loved his sister (she passed away years ago) and a dad who loves his son unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents are truly the most important sources of support for handicapped like us. Acceptance and understanding contribute much to make us feel comfortable with ourselves.

    I remembered when I was a kid, my playmates loved to call me names of different terms about my handicap. I felt being rejected in the group although at that time, at the age of 6, I was not fully aware how different I was among friends.

    My parents understanding and acceptance had made me felt comfortable being a kid. And so teasing and name calling did not affect much to me. But as I grew up into my teenage years, the more people turned silent about my handicap, the more aware I became. But then, through my family's unconditional love and special care, I have learned to enjoy life as normal people do. Parents are great help in bringing their handicapped children into living lives with confidence and courage to move on in spite of being viewed as disabled by the society. Without their untiring support, it would be a difficult struggle for a handicapped child to bear. The struggle would left him scars of being unloved and rejected.

    Even though nowadays different foundations have been established to extend special care for handicapped people, the family love and care have never lost its great important part for our lives.

    Love is the only best therapy for us!

    ReplyDelete